Nick's CSU Stan

There’s an App for That

by on Jun.18, 2012, under Uncategorized

So my whole ‘album title as blog title’ thing had a good run. But my library only has so many applicable titles.

For the longest time, my phones were about simplicity. When keyboard and sliding phones were in full swing, I was defiantly rocking a Nokia flip phone. Once that died, I had to cave in and get a Pantech Lazer, my first phone with a full keyboard and touchscreen. This phone was as low-tech as I could manage. But alas, that phone died too. And so I finally caved in and converted to the iphone. I can see why people rave about it, but at the same time I am not a die-hard iphone user. I do like the apps though, and there are a couple that have stood out and made me really enjoy my iphone.

Words with Friends- I know I am REALLY late to this party, but I can see why so many people loved playing this game. It’s simple, entertaining, and all the different letter combinations make each play different. If you play, add me! Ksignick14…I get lonely haha

Evernote- a simple, but very helpful app. On the phone, it is similar to other note apps. What makes it really useful is how it works with computers. You download the evernote program from the internet, for free, and sync your accounts. From then on, any note you type up on your computer will show up on your phone, and vice versa. Credit where credit is due…good call Mom

SoundHound- really useful app. Hold it to a source of music, and it will ID the song, artist, and album for you. There are other apps like this, but this one gives you unlimited searches per month. Other apps I have seen that offer this service only offer unlimited searches if you pay for the app. SoundHound also gives you the lyrics to the songs that scroll along with the song, making any song instantly turned into sing-along style.

ESPN Score Center- A must have for any sports fan. You can follow leagues, teams, or any combination. Notifications  are customizable, so you can determine what you want to be told about. Makes it easy to keep in touch with sports teams, even if you are not able to watch in real time. The one complaint I have is that some teams overlap, such as United States International Friendly games and United States World Cup Qualifying, and the app doesn’t just let you follow all national team games.

The Football App- In what may surprise some of you, this app is not for football, but for soccer. It uses the European name for the sport, and it makes following leagues very easy. Layouts and schedules for tournaments, friendlies, and leagues in multiple countries, as well as international tournaments are all available. Very helpful during things like the Euro Cup (which is going on now) and World Cup.

Epic Drum Set- As close as I can get to playing the drums. I have tried a few different apps for this, and this one is my favorite. You can play along to music on your iphone, record and playback your own music, which is pretty cool. My only complaint is that for those of us who like heavier music, the ‘ride’ cymbal, which is used in breakdowns, is missing. Other than that, a great app.

So those are my top 5. If there are apps you like that I don’t have, let me know. I would love for my phone to turn into something I can’t live without, which is what many people told me would happen.

Happy Father’s Day…Go Germany in Euro…..and see you next time!

2 Comments more...

2 Comments for this entry

• Sara

Thanks for the recommendations!

• Alexia

I like words with friends but I found that I’m pretty bad at remembering to play it with people and then all of my games end! I’m really into Angry birds and Sonic the Hedgehog! If you like playing against other people, draw something is really fun!