Nick's CSU Stan

Couldn’t Wait for the Summer at the WARPED TOUR

by on Jun.25, 2012, under Uncategorized

So I have talked about music and concerts a lot here. But I am going to be a little more specific. In the last 5 days, I have gone to 3 dates of the Vans Warped Tour (the title is from a Blink 182 song, ‘The Rock Show’. If you don’t know it, go listen to it).

Warped tour is the longest running annual tour in history. This marks the 18th consecutive year that the tour has crossed the country. While some people may call it just a concert, this is not the most apt title. At concerts, you go, you stand in the crowd, the bands play, and that’s about it. They usually go for about 4 hours or so. Warped Tour, on the other hand, is a festival. Doors open at 11 or 11:30 AM, with the last band not stepping on stage until 8:00 PM. Bands play shorter sets, but there are over 30 bands playing every day, as opposed to maybe 4 or 5. In addition to just the music, there are tons of other things going on at Warped. PETA always has a tent, as do many other activist groups trying to spread their message.

My warped experience this year has easily been one of my best. I saw all of my favorite bands, got some very cool band shirts (a necessity for me at concerts), held hands with vocalists from Of Mice & Men, blessthefall, and received a call out from blessthefall’s bassist. As if all of that was not amazing enough, I got to see a guy I played soccer with in high school play with his band on a real warped tour stage. That is pretty cool for a guy who is 20 to already be playing Warped alongside some of the biggest names in this music scene. But the icing on the cake this year leaves all that behind. There is a tent called Bandhappy, who organize tutoring by professional musicians for a small fee. For anyone who knows me, I am always drumming. But not with real drums. Fingertips, pens, pencils, or simply air drumming is pretty normal for me. So at this tent, I took advantage and got a lesson from Longineu “LP” Parsons III, drummer of Yellowcard. If you don’t know who that is, youtube “Ocean Avenue”. This was such an amazing experience, and he was a phenomenal teacher. Even though I am a long ways away from being an accomplished drummer, LP gave a lot of pointers that will help me get used to the mental part of drumming even without using an actual kit.

3 days of total bliss. Great music, great friends, amazing memories. Warped is always a highlight of summer for me, and I can’t wait to continue this tradition.

Hope all of you are enjoying summer as much as I am!! See you next time

2 Comments more...

2 Comments for this entry

• Alexia

I’m beyond jealous, I can’t believe you went to 3 tours!!! I haven’t been since I was 17 and I wanted to go this year because there were so many good bands performing. Did you take any pics?

• Nick

My sister did, but she hasn’t given them to me yet. Such a great time!