Nick's CSU Stan

I WAS IN A MUSIC VIDEO

by on Jul.04, 2012, under Uncategorized

Sorry for the delayed posting, but between internet at home dying and power outages here in Ohio, Internet access has been rather limited.

So the title of this blog was not just a cheap ploy to get you to read this. I really was filmed for a music video. My sister was checking twitter on the way back from warped tour, and we saw that Yellowcard needed extras for their next music video. A short drive and a few hours in line later, we were in the crowd, jumping along with other fans to the band’s next single, “Here I Am Alive”. For what it’s worth, the song is very good and I can’t wait for their album ‘Southern Air’ to drop (Aug 21…but who’s counting?). This was a pretty awesome experience. Met a lot of cool people in line and actually got to talk to the band members. They are all super down to earth, despite their substantial success, especially Sean Mackin (backing vocals and violin). So when this music video comes out, you best believe I will be scouring every shot for myself, or at the very least, my arms in the air.

This got me to thinking about other music videos I have seen over the years and really enjoyed. These are a few of my favorites

So Far Away” by Avenged Sevenfold

Despite this band’s deserved reputation as a heavy rock band, this song is not their usual cup of tea. Slow, borderline acoustic, and heartfelt, “So Far Away” serves as a testament to The Rev, the former drummer for A7X who died a couple years ago. This was the first album released since this tragedy, and while previous videos hint at the feelings of the band, this lays it all out on the table. A touching video, filled with subtle things as well as the overlaying video clips. Tommy Lee once said that metal is all about being in your face and heavy, but nobody is like that all the time, and if you are, then you are fake. This definitely shows the tender side of the band, and it is refreshing and beautifully done.

Make It Stop” by Rise Against

No matter your political orientation, this video is promoting a message that should be supported. Rise Against definitely champions liberal causes in their music, but the prevention of suicide is something that all sides of the political spectrum should be able to agree on. Something to note is that these men are not using their stage as a pulpit just to say something for the sake of saying it: the gym where you see the band play is actually where Tim (the singer) went to high school, where his best friend committed suicide as a result of being bullied over his sexual orientation. This video provides a great message of hope set to one of Rise’s best songs in a long time. Worth sharing if you know someone going through a tough time. The song is subtitled “September’s Children”: if you do not know why, Google the names spoken midway through the song

I’m Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?” by A Day to Remember

A band notorious for hilarious music videos, this one does not disappoint. If you are not a fan of screaming, I still suggest trying to tough it out. It adds something to the video, which is overall one the funniest I’ve ever seen. If kickball was anything like this, I think I would have enjoyed it much more. Sit back, and just enjoy the shenanigans.

Closer to the Edge” by 30 Seconds to Mars

It’s hard to describe why this video gets me. I think part of it is that it comes as close as any video I have seen to capturing what it’s like to be at an actual concert. Part of it is easily Jared’s showmanship and energy, but what else can you expect from an actor turned rock star? But I think what it really is the way it captures the whole culture of this genre of music and the people who listen to it. The things shown in this video are one of the main reasons why this band is very near the top of bands I want to see live.

All The Small Things” by Blink 182

The masters of pop punk, of hilarious music videos, and arguably the biggest band this side of 1990, Blink 182 are in peak form with this song. Immensely catchy, a video that is funny on its own, made even better by parodying the boy bands from the time, and the degree to which the guys sell it make this video a classic. Words can’t do this video justice, so just enjoy!

Quite a solid top 5 if I do say so myself. I will try and make sure you don’t have to wait as long for the next post. Greetings from Ohio, and a VERY begrudging congrats to Spain for winning Euro….i hate you for it.

See you next time!

1 Comment more...

1 Comment for this entry