Nick's CSU Stan

O-H-I-O

by on Jul.15, 2012, under Uncategorized

Anybody who knows me is quite aware that I am a diehard Ohio State Buckeye fan. My grandmother on my mother’s side is an alumni, and my grandparents raised my mom and aunts to be devout fans as well, a mentality that was passed on to my sister and I as well. So when my sister committed to go to Ohio State not too long ago, our family was ecstatic. Growing up, we would visit Columbus for the 4th of July every year, but we fell out of that tradition when my sister and I picked up competitive sports.

This year saw us return to that tradition though. It was a trip for my sister to go to her New Student Orientation, as well as visiting family I had not seen since before I started at Stanislaus.  So it was really cool to visit again and revisit childhood memories.

As I mentioned, power and internet were spotty while in Ohio. This is because a “derecho” had recently blown through and knocked out power to some places. I had never heard of a derecho before, and it is apparently a land-based hurricane. This one wasn’t too bad, not much destruction besides some torn up trees, but it was bad enough to kill power to an amazing local pizzeria. Thankfully, they got power back in time and we were able to savor Tommy’s. If you ever go to Columbus, you have to try it. We also visited Graeter’s Ice Cream. This place is AMAZING. It has been covered on the Food Channel for its unique flavors and outstanding quality of ice cream. I picked up a double scoop of Buckeye Ice Cream. While an actual buckeye is a semi-poisonous nut, this ice cream was chocolate with peanut butter and dark chocolate chunks mixed in. Absolutely delicious.

We also did a lot of our traditional tourist-y things. Watched the fireworks from my aunt and uncle’s porch, visited “The Horseshoe” (the Ohio State football stadium),caught fireflies,  visited old parks that my cousins, sister and I would always play at when we were kids, as well as my first trip to some rather unique sculptures. One was this huge field of cement in the shape of….corn. That’s when you know you are seriously in the middle of nowhere is when cement corn statues are a tourist attraction. The other set of sculptures was a trio of giant, metallic rabbits made from scrap metal. It sounds crazy, and it looks just as odd.

If you want to see these pictures, I ask you to be patient. I have this plan of posting all the pictures I take from summer all at once, and I still have 3 more concerts to go to, but after that I will throw them up.

T-minus 12 days until the Olympics! Go USA!

1 Comment more...

1 Comment for this entry