Nick's CSU Stan

Books & Books

by on Jul.21, 2012, under Uncategorized

For the last few weeks, I have been re-discovering something that I used to do all the time as a kid: reading. It started with just a random book I got to occupy in the airports during long layovers. I surprised myself and finished it before I even landed in Ohio. To hold me over, my mom and I made a trip to the local bookstore, where I picked up a couple books.

The first was I Am Number Four, which I did not know was a book. When I first saw it, I thought it was one of those book adaptations of a movie, but apparently the movie was based on the book. I burned though Number Four in give or take 36 hours, and enjoyed it so much I went back to the store and found its sequel, The Power of Six. This again hooked me, and I finished that one within 24 hours. If you have seen and enjoy the movie version, I highly suggest the book. The main essence is there, but they expand on a lot of it.

The other book I got was the first book in the ‘Song of Fire and Ice’ series, better known as Game of Thrones. This one was written at a higher level, and was much longer, so it took about a week and a half to finish, but was phenomenal. After finishing the book, I found the first season of the TV show and watched it, because it was the buzz of the TV show that got me to read it in the first place. I have to say that the TV show is arguably one of the most loyal adaptations I have ever seen. They add a few scenes here and there, but it sticks to the book down to the dialogue.

So now I am reading A Clash of Kings, the sequel to Game of Thrones and waiting for the third book in the Number Four series to come out mid-august. This has really reminded me how much I enjoy reading, and I am planning on bringing some books back with me to school. I am planning on reading The Secret Speech, a crime novel set in Soviet Russia, and Interview with a Vampire, the first in Ann Rice’s Vampire saga.

In addition to that, I have contemplated getting a Kindle. I have tried to holdout for so long to the written version of books, but my mom, cousins, and aunt and uncle all have their own and they absolutely love. This is the one area of technology I have tried to resist, because I like having the actual book. Turning the pages, having a big visible library (to make me look intellectual), and try and preserve the written part of the written word. If any readers have feedback on that, it would be much appreciated.

If you have any other reading suggestions, please send them my way! A light semester ahead, and it would be cool to get some reading time in instead of just the same old same old. See you all next week!

1 Comment more...

1 Comment for this entry