Nick's CSU Stan

Summer Cinema

by on Aug.05, 2012, under Uncategorized

So as some readers know, I am a pretty big movie person. Between Netflix and the theaters, I have seen a few movies that deserve to be mentioned, for better or for worse. The first one I saw was Ted, the teddy bear movie from the creator of Family Guy. I was really optimistic about this, because Mark Wahlberg is a pretty funny actor in addition to his chops as an action star.  When I actually went to see it, I was pretty disappointed. The funniest moment was a scene at the end, and all the other good ones were shown in the previews. A couple cameos from the likes of Joel McHale and Ryan Reynolds seemed like they could add a lot to the movie, but sadly both actors were very limited. My suggestion: redbox or Netflix it. Not worth anything more.

Another movie I saw was The Avengers. I was super excited about this release. Despite a (in my opinion) mediocre Thor movie, various versions of The Hulk, and a lukewarm Iron Man 1, Avengers totally delivered. Joss Whedon, the director, is a master. If you liked the verbal banter, check out his other work, namely the show Firefly (which can be streamed on Netflix). This movie also totally convinced me that Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye) was ready to take on the role of a Treadstone agent in the upcoming Bourne movie. No complaints about this one, looking forward to the next one.

And of course, I had to see The Dark Knight Rises. A phenomenal ending to Nolan’s trilogy, this was the epic film it needed to be. The scale of this movie was HUGE, even more so than when Gotham got cut off by the League of Shadows in Batman Begins. The main returning stars of Bale, Freeman, Oldman and Caine are supported by a great cast, such as Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Arthur from Inception), Tom Hardy (Eames from Inception) and Marion Cotillard (Mal from Inception). I just realized the massive actor overlap as I type this haha. But Bane was a great villain, the fights were incredible, and Batman/Bruce’s overall journey from the first scene to the last is very compelling. Overall I loved this movie, but I personally liked Heath Ledger’s Joker a little bit more than Bane. Just something unsettling about that Clown Prince of Crime.

I know I have missed quite a few good movies, so fill me in! What did you see? Was it good? Did I give fair reviews? Hope to hear some feedback

On another note, it’s good to see our athletes doing WORK at London 2012. Especially pulling for Kerry and Misty, Kessy/Ross, Men’s and Women’s indoor volleyball, Rosenthal and Gibb, and of course the Women’s National Soccer team! USA!

2 Comments more...

2 Comments for this entry

• Sara

Man I’m kind of bummed Ted wasnt all that great…I heard if you love family guy then you’ll love that movie

• frankalanis

Got to watch Prometheus for the visually] alone, looks really stunning at times. Avengers and Batman were great, but man were they lone, both almost clocking 3 hours each.